Subscribe to Impira's blog
Stay up to date with all things Impira, automation, document processing, and industry best practices.
With all of its data, the healthcare sector is positioned to be a case study in data management. However, the jury is still out as to whether it’s a case study of what to do, or what not to do.
The heartbeat of the data organization is the volume of data collected from patient medical forms. These forms are historically entered manually, making the process prone to human error. Unfortunately, these inefficiencies in the process have consequences. They frustrate patients and health agencies reliant on clean data, and they threaten your bottom line when your practice is associated with being disorganized or slow.
If you’re struggling with tasks requiring processing forms manually, a healthy dose of optical character recognition (OCR) elevated by the magic of Impira automated machine learning (AutoML) is your solution.
AI and machine learning alone aren’t always the answer
Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) by themselves are wonderful technologies, but necessarily for all users. Data entry personnel aren’t likely to be data scientists — and you shouldn’t expect them to be.
What to consider with standard AI/ML solutions:
- Having to train (and retrain) your ML models. Whether you take a DIY approach, use pre-trained software, or implement a system like Impira, your ML models need to be trained to know what to look for. The work doesn’t stop there as you’ll need to retrain your model regularly.
- Continued human intervention. Patient care is too important for you to rely on software alone. For automation tech to be the most effective, you need to have a human in the loop to ensure your models are working correctly and to retrain them to adapt to your needs.
- Plain data isn’t always useful. It’s not enough to just extract plain data from your forms. You need to be able to extract (and potentially store) data that’s actually helpful for you in your practice.
- HIPAA compliance. Any AI/ML solution you choose will need to be compliant with regulations like HIPAA.
Automate your medical form processing in minutes with Impira AutoML and OCR
AutoML differs from standard AI/ML solutions because it features automatic training. It learns and re-learns from your initial interactions and then runs with it to apply it across the rest of your files. So, rather than needing a team of expensive data scientists, your staff, who’re already familiar with your business’ needs, can train the AutoML with minimal expertise in programming or coding.
Traditional ML models may require you to provide a data science team with hundreds or thousands of sample documents in order to train it. Re-training or tweaking your model would require the same. Impira takes a different approach that allows you to see the magic of AutoML right away and affords you the flexibility to adapt to changing needs and goals.
We’ve detailed how to use Impira AutoML to automate medical form processing in this detailed guide. It takes you through the following steps:
Follow this Impira AutoML guide to automate your medical form processing. It’ll show you how to:
- Upload your files into a collection.
- Begin basic training of your ML model.
- Reinforce the training through correcting or confirming results.
You’ve got a lot of responsibility on your hands to begin with. Save time and save money as you create a better experience for your patients by automating form processing with AutoML.